Tends the flow and proper mixing of components required to produce bleach and maintains all associated equipment used in the process of bleach production by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Operates the bleach making equipment, including bleach processor, dilution unit, bleach filter and filter press. Cleans the inside of the bleach tanks. Climbs and descends ladders to access bleach tanks and railroad cars. Turns valves and moves controls to regulate the flow of chlorine, water and caustic soda in the production of bleach.
- Reads, gauges and moves controls to maintain specified safe operation of bleach production.
- Monitors and documents raw material use and current inventory of raw materials used in the production of bleach.
- Coordinates with other departments to ensure product quality, inter-department product transfer, and timely replenishment of raw materials.
- Performs daily batch and filter sample tests for bleach quality and strength.
- Performs connection and disconnection procedures for offloading chlorine and caustic from railroad cars and trucks.
- Operates, monitors and maintenances scrubber unit as required
- Performs connection and disconnection procedures for loading tanker trucks with product.
- Serves as a member of the company’s emergency response team. Acquires a thorough understanding of the company’s chlorine handling process through satisfactory completion of the mandatory training for this position.
- Requires the use of a self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Position is considered safety sensitive and will be subject to random drug testing as a condition of employment.
This position has no supervisory responsibility.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED WORK HOURS:
This is a Full Time Position, 40 hours per week. Days and hours vary by shift. Overtime will be required with production demands.
- Time Management
- Decision Making
- Project Management
- Problem Solving/Analysis
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED)
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and policy and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to; walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 60 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic chemicals. The employee frequently works in high, precarious places. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
James Austin Company is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, genetics, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. We participate in E-Verify.