Responsible for all operational aspects of the manufacturing plant. Reviews and analyzes reports, records and company directives while conferring with peers and subordinates. Obtains status of work in progress and problems encountered while giving work direction, resolving problems and setting deadlines for timely completion of work in the areas of Maintenance and Inventory Management. Assist Plant Manager in organizing and managing day-to-day activities for plant operations. Performs functions of Plant Manager in their absence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Prepares plant level reports for its activities and performance. Evaluates current procedures and practices for accomplishing plant objectives to implement improved procedures and practices. May also initiate employee hire, promotion, discharge or transfer.
- Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of James Austin Co., working effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Develops and revises directives and procedures for acquisition, receipt, storage and issuance of the plant’s raw inventory.
- Oversees inventory policy and procedures including inventory levels and stock-out rate and approves the disposal of obsolete or surplus materials.
- Supervises maintenance employees while reviewing their work for adherence to standards, policies, procedures and laws. Evaluates performance of staff. Oversees overall Facility Management including building repairs and cleaning along with recommending and executing improvements.
- Provides assistance proactively to internal and external customers to facilitate inventory management activities.
- See Job Specific Activity List for other duties.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In the absence of the Plant Manager oversees the daily operations of the manufacturing plant, ensuring that all operations are in accordance with company standards.
- Conduct daily staff meetings and attend weekly performance meetings.
- Assigns tasks to employees as necessary.
- Facilitates day-to-day operations.
The Assistant Plant Manager will directly oversee all Maintenance personnel. This position will indirectly oversee all of the Plant Managers Subordinates in his absence.
POSITION TYPE AND EXPECTED WORK HOURS:
This is a Full Time Position, 40 hours per week. Days are Monday through Friday. Overtime will be required with production demands.
- Relationship Management
- Decision Making
- Results Driven
- Negotiation Skills
- Problem Solving
- MANAGING POLITICS (INTERNAL & EXTERNAL): effective collaborator and network builder, persuasive, sensitivity to situation and individuals, knows how to work within the organizational and political structure.
- LEADERSHIP: acquires new knowledge and learns new ways of solving problem, thinks and plans strategically, visualizes and communicates a vision, models desired behavior, drives organizational change, recognition and development of staff potential, pro-actively addresses performance issues
- TAKING RISKS AND INNOVATING: thinks out of the box, open minded and flexible in thought and tactics, oriented toward results, adapts problem approaches, creative solutions
- PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT: provides feedback on performance throughout the year, initiates performance plans and disciplinary actions at appropriate times, plans ahead to prepare and present appraisal to salaried employees within thirty days of due date (only exception is unplanned extended absence), consistently follows the company handbook in performance management of represented employees.
- ETHICS AND INTEGRITY: perceived fairness; tolerance; honesty; consistent in application of policies and procedures.
- DIVERSITY ORIENTATION: encourages and supports diversity of employees and contractors (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise); participates in Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action events and training; refers EEO/AA concerns in a timely manner.
- SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE: specialty field of knowledge is up to date and properly applied.
- CUSTOMER FOCUS: communicates courteously and proactively, learns customer’s short-and long-term needs, sees issues from customer’s perspective.
- JUDGMENT: makes appropriate and sound decisions after weighing alternatives; follows policies and procedures; thoughtful consideration for other’s opinions; logical.
- Ability to operate Microsoft office and outlook computer software. Must also be knowledgeable about SAP inventory management software.
- Ability to effectively develop staff.
- Ability to plan and organize and prioritize workload.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce.
- An equivalent combination of experience, knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics consistent with the required qualifications as determined by the job analysis.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field with training in inventory management.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, policy and procedure manuals. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Fluent English Required.
- Bilingual Preferred.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in a variety of situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly visits the manufacturing areas where there are moving mechanical parts, inadvertently can be exposed to chemicals and some fumes, and the noise level can be moderately loud.
Please Note this job description is not designed to cover to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.